Day One: Oregon, Mt. Morris, Dixon, Rochelle
Start in Oregon, the northern-most part of Ogle County.
Your first stop will be in Oregon, IL at Conover Square previously the home of the Schiller Piano Factory. Built in1893 this factory was once a bustling with the production of victrolas, music pianos, player pianos, spinnets, and baby grands. Wander through the unique and eclectic blend of shops and vintage stores. In addition to shopping, board the elevator for the 2nd floor and take a walk back through time in the Farm Museum filled with antique farming pieces and memorabilia. Visit the Model Railroad room filled with a fully operational Large HO scale railroad display that is quite impressive featuring its own community and Mt. Rushmore.
After leaving Conover Square, travel a short distance to:
- Oregon Soap Shoppe where the “chocolate goodies” have some very important features! They are 100% guilt free, 100% calorie free, OH so very good for you and only mildly habit-forming. Choose from their many soaps, the delicious chocolate varieties or any of the other 150+ blends to nurture the skin you are in. Besides the Chocolate Mint, Chocolate Amber, and Milk Chocolate Almond soaps for your bathing adventures keep your lips kissable with Chocolate Covered Cherry and Chocolate Mint lip balms. Exfoliating a favorite past time of yours…then try the Chocolate Bath Salts or Chocolate Mint Sugar Scrubs. Closed Mondays.
Travel southwest approx. 6 miles to:
- White Pines Inn in rural Mt. Morris. Nestled in the beautiful White Pines Forest State Park, discover the historic lodge restaurant, pioneer guest cabins, delightful country gift shop, and entertaining dinner theater* that make up the White Pines Inn. Enjoy a matinee Dinner Theater performance (Reservations recommended). Chocolate lovers will delight in the gift shop’s assorted chocolate, truffles & myrtles, and the restaurant’s chocolate cobbler & ice cream desserts. Motorcoach groups easily accommodated.
Ready to call it a day? Head back to scenic Route 2 and drive south approx. 10 miles to Dixon. Along the way, take in the scenic views of the Rock River winding with you as you go. Be sure to keep your eyes open for Eagles!
- Check-in at the Comfort Inn. It provides the chocolate lover with a variety of chocolate treats in your room upon arrival. After checking in, return to Dixon’s historic downtown. Dine in one of Dixon’s many restaurants and stroll the new Heritage Crossing riverfront, enjoying beautifully paved walks with a gorgeous view of the Rock River. SWEET DREAMS! Note: please request the Chocolate Trail package when making reservations.
Day 2: Dixon & Rochelle
Wake up the next morning with a full breakfast at the Quality or a deluxe continental breakfast at the Comfort Inn. Once you’ve checked out, head into Dixon to visit the many unique shops it has to offer, including:
- Baker’s Street for their tempting scones, muffins, specialty cakes and coffees (roasted in-house).
- Be sure to walk just a block or two north to the Dixon Welcome Center. It’s located right on the riverfront. While there you can shop for unique Dixon gift items and souvenirs.
Next, heading towards home, visit Rochelle, just 30 minutes east of Dixon. Your last stops will include: Colonial Flowers & Gifts features seasonal décor and they also offer a wide variety of fresh, classic chocolates in upscale packaging and free chocolate samples. The Iron Skillet, located within the Petro Travel Plaza offers 54 different kinds of gourmet chocolates that rotate in their two beautiful display cases, and many of which are sugar-free. There's fudge too! Pick form Snickers, Cheesecake, Pumpkins and more! We also offer Truffles, Sea-Salt Caramels, and old fashioned hard candy sticks. The Iron Skillet is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year!
Time to head home!